Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Tomorrow is Another Day


Ah, my writing prompts seem to have me hearing the voices loud and clear lately. This is for Trifecta.

INTENTION (noun)
3a : what one intends to do or bring about   b : the object for which a prayer, mass, or pious act is offered 
This week's word is intention.  33-333 words worth of "intention."


“What I intended to do today…” she said.

“Was a far cry from what was done, I’m sure,” she replied.

Her hand shot up habitually to run through hair that hung over guilty eyes. “There’s just so much, ya know? Work, cleaning, weatherproofing this drafty old house, exercising the dog. Hell, exercising me that wasn’t done either. I’m still not even unpacked and I’ve been here four months.”

There was no reply from the other, only a shake of the head, a shrug of the shoulders, and a dismissing wave of a hand. Yet, she knew the truth. Things, the things that were intended for today and now for tomorrow, they wouldn’t be done then either. Something else will come up, other things will get done, and there will be more excuses. There are always excuses because procrastination and intention dance arm in arm down the dusty road to nowhere, and she skipped right along with them.

She flipped the light switch and silenced the reflection – for now. After all, tomorrow is another day.

5 comments:

  1. How real is this-don't most of us do this?lol!I could relate to this so well:-)Enjoyed reading this & loved the lines,"There are always excuses because procrastination and intention dance arm in arm down the dusty road to nowhere, and she skipped right along with them."Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a universal affliction amongst writers, I think. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'd hoped it didn't sound to whiny.
      dk

      Delete
  2. Tomorrow is so another day. This is what I'm telling the piles of ironing that's giving me the stink eye right now.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Atreyee above; a good line is a joy to read. I thought that particular line stood out as well. Well done. Thanks for brightening my day with your good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try hard not to become like this but sometimes the temptation to relax is just too much...! (: Great piece!

    ReplyDelete