Thursday, January 10, 2013

A Hades Day

So, yesterday I had the pleasure of reading this delightful poem, Aspects of Winter, on a Facebook friends' blog. It was created by choosing five things that signify winter without using weather. It inspired me, so I put out a Facebook call for words. It was by far the most commented on post I've had in a while. 

In case there is a need, I've included an explanation of the title from Wikipedia:

In Greek mythology, Hades kidnapped Persephone to be his wife. Zeus ordered Hades to return her to Demeter, the goddess of the Earth and her mother. However, Hades tricked Persephone into eating the food of the dead, so Zeus decreed that Persephone would spend six months with Demeter and six months with Hades. During the time her daughter is with Hades, Demeter became depressed and caused winter. 


Photography by Jim Denham

Cocoa steam puffs from the cocoon of a down comforter
Diffusing the shortened aurorean Mie scatter
Cardinal crimson flashes against the pure whiteness
Spirits' gifted remedy for the lingering darkness
The joys of abbreviated days and extended nights
Visions of sugar plums and mountainsob fights
Cocoa traded for hot mulled wine
Fireplace glows warm and all is fine

4 comments:

  1. I know it is silly but I look forward to the first day of winter because I know the days are getting just a tad longer.

    Shoot me an e-mail with a new address and I'll send you a home made scarf to keep you warm. I'm using up my spare yarn - so it will be colorful.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jules, something to look forward to. I'll get that email out.
      dk

      Delete
  2. Great when you can find real inspiration on the web.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lately, I've been finding a lot of inspiration on the web. :)
      dk

      Delete