Monday, June 15, 2009

Mother Blue-Rewrite

much improved!

Mother Blue
Out over misery soaked visions~ “B.B. King” by Sterling Slumpp

I’ve sunk deep,
Deep beneath and I’ve suffered,
Suffered suffocation
Son of my sun
Of dreams unrecognized,
Dreams unrealized
Son of my sun,
I’ve shriveled under the crush
Of dreams deferred, dear son

Strangled by my own clawed hand of guilt
I said, strangled by my own clawed hand of guilt
Dreams deferred.

What do you know?
I ask, what do you know
Son of my sun
Of eternity swallowed whole
By the sorrow of deep-throated grief?
What do you know?
Yeah, what do you know
Of the heave, the gasp, the ache,
The empty bosom of a mother
A bosom pierced and collapsed?

Strangled by my own clawed hand of guilt
I said, strangled by my own clawed hand of guilt
Dreams deferred, dear son.

Have you felt?
I ask you, have you felt
Joy that scratches and scrapes,
Joy that clutches and digs
Digs ‘til her bloody stumps feel
The yellow brilliance
The radiance of dawn?
A dawn that’s but a glimpse
A flicker and back to blackness
Blackness, as her foe despair
Despair chuckles viciously and
Helps that dirty sorrow bury,
Attempt to inter joy forever.
Still, still and again
Joy begins
Begins anew
For she hears the melody
The harmony of hope.

Strangled by my own clawed hand of guilt
Crying, strangled by my own clawed hand of guilt
Dreams deferred, dear son.

Hope, son of my sun
Hope that sings a cheery do-wop
Hope that sings background
To faith that dances
Dances a polka, a twist,
Faith, cloaked in vivid,
Vivacious, passionate red inspiration.
Together, yeah together
They thump and pump and sing.
They sing, they dance a jig
A jig that tramples dark despair
And that seedy sadness beneath strong,
Strong, quick tapping toes.
And while they bump and sway
Joy’s bloody stumps reach again
Reach and clasped tight
Inside the blue electric jive
The tingling tango
Of faith and hope.

Guilt asphyxiated, son of my sun
I say, yeah, guilt? Guilt asphyxiated.

No comments:

Post a Comment