Saturday, September 19, 2009

Poetry of Me

That’s Me

My mother wore girdles
Thick, heavy rubber shields entombed her voluptuous curves
Silky nylons cinched tight, seams perfectly straight
In Steel Magnolias Truvy says, “It looks like two pigs fightin’ under a blanket”
That’s me!!

My mother wore long white gloves
Satin or 100% cotton reached tenderly for hidden elbows
White go-go boots tripped the psychedelic disco.
With the Grease y
“…hickey from Kinicky!”
That’s me!!

My mother was appropriate, politically correct
She was polite and properly submissive
Dressed completely every morning
Bathed discreetly every evening
“Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.”
That’s me!!

My mother listened to the radio, Little Orphan Annie
She loved Shirley Temple and then there was me
She sang “Pennies from Heaven” and “The Tennesse Waltz”
Danced the Swing and the Jive and drank highballs
“La-dee-da”, “We’re on a mission from God”
“Shake it! Shake it like a Polaroid picture”
That’s me.

No comments:

Post a Comment